Stuffed Mushrooms with Spinach
Based on a recipe by Sara Quessenberry, from RealSimple.com (http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/stuffed-mushrooms-spinach).
- 24 medium mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 10-ounce package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to release most of the liquid
- Hot pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- ¼ cup oat bran
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- Pine nuts (optional)
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Pre-heat oven to 375° F. Remove the stems from the mushrooms; finely chop the stems and reserve. Coat a baking sheet with oil and place the mushroom caps, stem-side down, on the sheet - bake until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Heat the oil in a skillet, add the garlic, shallot, and chopped mushroom stems and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach, hot pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
In a bowl, combine the spinach mixture with the bran, flax seeds, and cheeses. Spoon into the mushroom caps and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.